The Ommegang is a celebration of a famous legend as well as a re-enactment of the medieval festival held in 1549 that welcomed Emperor Louis V to Brussels.
- When? 5th - 7th July 2017
- Where? Grand Place, Brussels
- Price: Visit the official website for tickets.
The origins of the Ommegang are based on a legend about a local devout woman named Beatrijs Soetkens. She apparently had a vision in which the Virgin Mary instructed her to steal a sacred stature in Antwerp and to bring it to Brussels to place it in the chapel of the Crossbow Guild.
The Ommegang is a celebration of this legend as well as a re-enactment of the medieval festival held in 1549 that welcomed Emperor Louis the Fifth to Brussels. More than a thousand performers dress up in medieval/folk costumes and march from Sablon Church to the Grand Place.
There are more festivities in the Parc Royal involving tastings of local dishes. There’s also a mockup of a medieval village with a beer tasting and knight fights.
- Get there: There's trams, buses and taxis available throughout the city if you can't walk to the event.
- Stay: Find a hotel in the city centre - there are loads of options within walking distance to the Grand Place.
*We do our very best to verify the dates of our events but please check with the official event provider before booking your flights. We would hate for you to be disappointed!