In Umbria for Easter? The small town of Assisi just 30 minutes east of Perugia, is one of the best places to be.
- Why? Experience traditional Christian Easter celebrations
- When? 14th - 17th of April 2017
- Where? Assisi, just outside of Perugia
- Price: You'll just need plenty of money for food and drinks.
- Get there: Fly into Perugia then take the train to Assisi.
- Stay: Hotel Ideale is centrally located and offers stunning views of the neighbouring valley.
- #travioortip: To make the experience even more authentic, book a homestay to enjoy the festivities with a host family.
For those who think chocolate is the most important part of Easter, we can't argue with that. Yet, in the small town of Assisi, the people remember the traditional values behind this festive period with a weekend of celebrations... and chocolate for breakfast on Easter Sunday.
Easter celebrations are common in many towns throughout Umbria, and Assisi (a 30 minute drive from Perugia) is one of the best places to be, not only because of the Easter processions but because the spring brings a colourful backdrop to the shops, museums, hotels and restaurants that open for business.
Proceedings begin on Good Friday where the dead Christ is taken from the cathedral of San Rufino to the Basilica of St. Francis. In the evening a series of torches light up the city in what is a spectacular sight and a procession of the Brotherhoods takes place.
On Easter Sunday, the people of Assisi enjoy the feast of the Resurrection of Our Lord where you'll find many starting the day with a traditional Easter breakfast that contains capicola, boiled eggs, Torta di Pasqua and not forgetting - chocolate. During the day, many head for the church with a number of religious functions throughout the morning and afternoon.
Easter Monday is then known as Pasquetta (often translated to little Easter), where most Italians head outside to a nearby park or the countryside to enjoy a picnic and some fun with family and friends. It's a day for relaxing and much like the Sunday - eating. So if you decide to do the same, make sure you pack the chocolate.
*We do our very best to verify the dates of our events but please check with the official event provider before booking your flights. We would hate for you to be disappointed!